Math Olympiad and Problem Solving Training Programs
Welcome to Avid Academy for Gifted Youth. We provide after-school enrichment programs in math, english, physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science, mentor middle and high school science research projects, and offer college counseling to aspiring students in pursueing their college dreams. Please explore this website to learn more about our programs and our approach to gifted education.
2014 Summer Sessions
2014 Summer Session registration are available. Click here for details.
Summer Program Open House Events
We will also host five different open house events, each focusing on a major theme of our summer program, on Mondays from 6:15 - 7:30pm starting from March 31 to April 28:
- March 31 - Science Research Program (Grades 6-12)
- April 7 - iMET: Integrated Math, English & Technology (Grades K-3)
- April 14 - Computational Thinking in Robotics and Programming (Grades K-12)
- April 21 - Science Olympiad and Physics Olympiad (Grades 4 - 11)
- April 28 - Reading and Writing for Gifted Students & SAT (Grades 4 - 9)
To sign up for an open house event, please register here.
Eric Chen and Kevin Lee Won First and Second Places at 2014 Intel STS
Click here to read more.
NEW SPRING CLASSES: Middle School Math Placement Exam Preparation
Most middle schools offer a math placement exam to determine a student's placement in math classes. Most of our students were able to be placed in Honors Algebra in 7th grade. For students in the Irvine Unified School District, the Math Acceleration Test (MSMAT) and Algebra Acceleration Test (AAT) are in May and June. Over the past five years, 98% of our students passed MSMAT on first try and 91% of our students passed AAT on first try. The following three classes are designed for students interested in preparing for the placement exams. The class will last 14 weeks from March 3 to June 7, 2014.
How to select an appropriate class?
- Students currently in 7th grade should take M107B, which prepare students to take the AAT exam for placement into Algebra.
- Students currently in 5th grade should take M105B, which prepare students to take the MSMAT exam for placement into Common Core 7/8.
- Students currently in 6th grade should take a diagonistic exam at Avid Academy to determine the proper placement in M105, M106 or M107. Most 6th grade students are placed in M106, which prepare students to take both the MSMAT and AAT exam.
|5-6||M105B - Middle School Math Placement Exam Prep||WED||05:30pm-07:30pm||U|
|6||M106A - Middle School Math Placement Exam Prep||SAT||10:20am-12:20pm||U|
|6||M106C - Middle School Math Placement Exam Prep||FRI||03:45pm-05:45pm||U|
|6-7||M107B - Algebra Acceleration Test (AAT) Prep||MON||03:45pm-05:45pm||U|
- Click on eLearning to access our Online Learning Management System for current students and families.
- Click on Scheduler to make an appointment online for qualifying exams, gathering information, college counseling, or science research meetings.
- Click on Newsletter to subscribe to our monthly newsletter - The Avid Learner.
- Click on Registration to sign up for our classes.
2013 - 2014 School Year Classes and Registration
The early registration deadline for returning students and summer camp participants for the Winter Session is November 15. The open registration period is from November 15, 2013 - December 1, 2013. To register, clink on the program title below. To learn more about class schedule, qualification, waiting list, and other information, click here.
Why Avid Academy for Gifted Youth?
In 2006, Avid Academy for Gifted Youth was the first academy to offer advanced math problem solving to gifted students in Orange County. With its roots in the Irvine math community and locations in proximity to University of California, Irvine and Concordia University, Avid Academy for Gifted Youth combines California Standardized Mathematics Curriculum with math competitions and problem solving to help gifted students to discover their passion, develop their skills, and fulfill their college dreams. To learn more about our philosophy, history, statement of differentiation, and approach to gifted education, click here.
All weekend classes meet at Concordia University, Irvine.
All weekday classes and meetings are held at UCI University Tower, Irvine.
Avid Academy for Gifted Youth